Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seed swapping bonanza

Earlier in the week, I received some free organic vegetable seeds from Christine, my fiance's auntie. Very kind of her especially as I have just run dry of beetroot and spring onions which were included. Yesterday morning, I received some more seeds from a friend of ours called Ben. Very kind of him too. Ben is a keen gardener and always seems to have some particularly exotic and interesting seeds to hand.

He has sent me the following:

Squash: Tromba d'Albenga (which can be picked when 20cm as courgette but apparently can reach up to 1.5m if left to be a squash)
Courgette: Striato d'Italia
Pumpkin: Llena de Naples
Tomato: Chore di Bue
Green pepper: Friggitello F1 Hybrid
Cucumber: Marketer

Ben says that the squash and pumpkin seeds come from Spain so they might need a lot of sun. Given that all of us on the allotment site seem convinced that we are going to get a particularly fine Summer, this may not be a problem. In the meantime, I will send Ben some different seeds back.

And this weekend, I am joined by my future outlaws and as they now have a veg patch, I have given them some of my seeds and some of the ones that Christine sent over.

Tomorrow was warm and sunny but I focused on the garden. I mowed the lawn for the first time this year and weeded and fed most of the pots of herbs on the patio. Things look a little tidier now. However, I was helped/hindered by our cat who sat on the cold frame again. As the lids were only carefully placed on top given previous cat activities, they soon collapsed beneath her (see piccie below of her leaving the scene with as mch dignity as possible).



And I saw my first ladybird of the year...



Today is forecast to be another lovely sunny day so I plan to get over to the plot to dig over 1 or 2 beds.

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

I was given the same squash seeds from my then future in laws who purchased them in Cyrprus, but the seeds did not do well in the Scottish climate, but hopefully you will do better down south.

I am also impressed that you got to take a photo of a ladybird, I couldn't even snap a picture of the drunken/sleepy headed bumble bee in my plot earlier.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you talk of a fine summer being expected just as I head into winter... it's been blowing 40 kts most of the day here and has just started snowing again ;-)