Sunday, March 8, 2009

Waiting to get out

Earlier in the week, forecasts suggested that today might be ok for gardening. The chance of some light showers perhaps. It is now hailing (though it started and finished by the time I wrote that phrase). The wind is quite strong and it has been raining on and off for the last couple of hours. I am hoping this will past by 1500ish. I need to take some logs over to the plot. Most of these are from my neighbour who had some well-established hedges removed. I have a few from the remains of 2 Christmas trees. I plan to pile these up at the bottom of the plot to provide a small habitat for friendly bugs. There is also the rest of last year's Christmas tree which I have chopped up into 3 inch pieces to rot down.

Since my previous post, I did visit the plot for a bit of a dig. I only managed half of Bed 8. The bramble chap called me over for a spot of lunch which was lovely.

Another brief hail while I type...

This morning's inspection of the seed trays upstairs show some more germination (the aubergines poked through a couple of days ago). The sweet peppers and a couple of the chillies (Iranian Round and Westlandse) have showed themselves. I forgot about the marigolds which were in a different room. They look nice and strong, not leggy at all, and must have germinated a fews days ago.

The photo below shows the aubergines (bottom left), sweet peppers (bottom right) and marigolds (top).



The next photo shows the 4 pots of chillies all covered by a single clear bin bag. The two pots that showed germination this morning were the two at the bottom end of the bag (furthest from the opening which is folded under the tray to keep the heat in) so may have been a little warmer. I am guessing that this is why they have come through first. Just a guess. I have since swapped the pots around in an attempt to even things up.



Now the evenings are getting a tad lighter, there are a couple of smallish jobs I need to attend to soon. First, fixing the cold frame in the garden after our cat has finally broken the polycarbonate lids out of their frames. That must have given her a bit of a shock when it happened. Second, making a mushroom box out of a pallet I have been given. I have meant to grow mushrooms for a while.

Now the rain has stopped but I will wait things out while listening to Gardeners' Questions Time.

No comments: