Sunday, March 8, 2009

Respite from the showers

Things did clear a little at 1500ish so, after GQT, I gathered up the logs and branches and headed over to the plot. Now, as I am back on the sofa writing this, the rain has come back. It was glove weather today - much chillier than the past couple of weeks.

The piccie below shows the extent of the digging a couple of days ago.



Bed 8 is in the foreground and is only half-dug over. The next piccie shows where I had hurriedly covered the broad beans (yet to show) in Bed 3 with fleece on Wednesday night given the forecast of a hard frost.



I piled up the logs near the fence right at the bottom of the plot. You can see them in the piccie below not far from the apple tree which is generally agreed to be on my plot (I had assumed it was my neighbour's). The bramble man (as I will now call him) has done some pruning so it should crop nicely this year.



A peek into the raised beds showed lots of nice salad leaves to harvest (see piccies below for the Mispoona, Spicy Mix and Little Gem).







I cut some of the Mispoona and Spicy Mix but have left the Little Gem to get bigger. It is great to be able to pick this stuff at the start of March.

Before leaving the plot, I removed the fleece from the broad beans to allow the rain to get to them.

Next week, my priorities should be sowing (especially parsnips, leeks and salad, perhaps tomatoes) and digging (finishing Bed 8 and tidying up 2 or 3 other beds). There might be time for some hoeing, and harvesting of leeks and parsnips but those are lower down on the to-do list. Depending on the weather, I plan to plant my spuds in 2 weeks time though it may be possible/tempting to do that next weekend - a few other allotmenteers have already put theirs in.

4 comments:

Shaheen said...

Who has been a busy flowerpot then. I am envious. I dare not venture to the allotmetn today as it snowed in the West of Scotland. So i stayed home and cooked some more of those jerusalem artichokes. I have so much to catch up on at the allotment. Hopefuly the coming weekends weather will be kinder.

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get onto your plot today. I was very lucky. Fingers crossed the weather improves for you later in the week. Your carrot fritters look yummy. What did you do with the artichokes today?

Anonymous said...

Fresh salad leaves in March. They look very tasty. Hope I can pick my own at the end of the month. What weather today!

Anonymous said...

Salad leaves in March! Fantastic.