Sunday, April 12, 2009

Knowing my onions

Another warm day with sunshine and few clouds. The morning was a bit cloudy but it soon cleared up nicely. After a lazy morning, I headed over to the plot at about 1430ish armed with the onion and mint seedlings which were removed from the cold frame yesterday.

First job was to transplant the onion seedlings. I had lots of the white and red ones that I sowed earlier in the year and 8 of Hi Keeper which I sowed back in September. The Hi Keeper ones looked big and strong - actually looking like mini onions - whereas the others looked quite weedy. Note to self - sowing in the Autumn and overwintering seems to be a good thing to do. I planted out 40-50 of each of the red and white onions. After a quick feed and water, I covered them over with a tunnel cloche to stop the birdies nipping at them and flying off with them.

The second job was to finish off the weeding and hoeing around the globe artichokes. The third job was to put the mint plants somewhere. They went between the globe artichokes and the path down the middle of the plot. Things look a lot nicer in Beds 4 and 5 now, if a little haphazard (very much my style of gardening).

4 comments:

Soilman said...

It's not fair! You got all the weather this weekend! It's been 'orrible back east!

Anonymous said...

Are you going to grow any red onions?

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Sorry for hogging the sunshine, Soilman. I hope you had it better today.

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Yes, jeangenie, I have planted out some red onions. Whether or not they survive is another matter...