Sunday, April 5, 2009

Divide and conquer

A couple of relatively short sessions on the plot today (still a tad jetlagged). Today was lovely and sunny with some cloud. I was on the plot by 0845 - very early for me. I just did a spot of digging on Bed 5 next to the onions and garlic. No more parsnips left in the ground which is good. Next weekend, the onion seedings can go in there.

In the afternoon, I planted the 3 parsley plants that have been overwintering in the coldframe at home. They weren't looking too healthy so I wouldn't be surprised if they keel over. I also dug up and divided the clump of chives that was sitting in Bed 5 but not before harvesting some for tea. I gave 1 clump to a fellow allotmenteer before replanting the other 5 back in Bed 5. Before leaving for the day, I checked the raised beds. The Mispoona and the Spicy Mix were beginning to go to bolt so I picked these and put the rest of the plants on the compost heap.

Back at home, I sowed some tomatoes and herbs. Specifically:

Tomatoes

Principe Borghese - egg-sized, plum, determinate
Costoluto Genovese - beefsteak, indeterminate
Garden Pearl - cherry, bred for container growing
Tigerella - stripey, good for outdoors, indeterminate

Herbs

Basil (Dark Opal)
Chervil

I also potted up the chillies from the windowsill (4 seedlings of each variety) and the aubergines (6 of these). I'll pot up some of the sweet peppers later in the week.

Need more sleep...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busy girl! Hope it was relaxing being in UK sunshine today.

jeangenie said...

Test, testing, 1,2, 3