Saturday, April 18, 2009

Who needs the gym...

...when there is hoeing to be done. Particularly on soil that is quite nice and damp after the week's rain. This morning started off a bit chilly and cloudy but it has since become warmer with a bit more sunshine.

Before heading over to the plot, I thinned out the third pot of leeks sitting on the patio (I did the other 2 earlier in the week). I need to remember next year that leek seeds are quite reliable and there is no need to sow them so thickly. It is a right pickle trying to thin out seedlings that are so close together and so long and thin. See before and after piccies.





I hope that these now have the space to grow to the thickness of pencils.

I headed over to the plot for an hour. I started off by hoeing over Beds 7 (there is still about a third of this bed that is heavily populated by grass and needs to be dug over) and 9. It is amazing what an improvement hoeing makes on the appearance of soil. It looks so much finer.

A quick inspection of Bed 8 showed 2 or 3 potato plant tops poking through the soil. After 5 weeks in the ground they are showing signs of life. Just think, last year it was still a month before I got any spuds in the ground.



I then moved 3 broad bean plants from one row to another to fill some gaps. Out of the 4 rows of 13 I sowed, 2 of the rows did fine with only 5 gaps I think while the other 2 didn't quite reach a 50% success rate. Not sure why. See piccie below for how the broad beans currently stand.



I hoed a bit between the rows and unfortunately struck one of the healthier looking plants. I need to learn to be a bit more careful - I am new to this hoeing business.

Although the soil was quite damp, I did water the parsnip bed before leaving the plot. It is going to be quite a sunny, dry week I believe. I should pop over later in the week to water them again if necessary.

No comments: