Thursday, July 30, 2009

A visit from the Marrow Fairy

I was feeling bad about the brassicas in Bed 7 pushing up against the tunnel cloche so I finally nipped over for an hour this evening to remove the cloches and to cover the plants with netting (see below). It has been wet all week (yesterday was particularly bad) so it was the first good opportunity.



I picked a handful of peas and harvested a single bright yellow One Ball courgette. Some of the sweetcorn plants do look like they are starting to grow nicely upwards and the squash plant climbing up the surrounding wire has got a healthy-looking fruit on it.



Dammit though - I have just read up on the Lady Godiva squash and it seems that the flesh is not worth eating. I got them because the seeds are shell-less and very nutritious and tasty but I didn't realise that the flesh would not be worth eating (according to reports on t'Internet). That'll learn me. "Grown for their seeds" actually means "don't bother with the flesh".

However, I won't starve because the Marrow Fairy has paid a visit. The nice fairy left me a marrow and 2 courgettes on my water butt.

1 comment:

Shaheen said...

You've reminded me, some of my brassicas are pushing up against the make shift cage cloche, which will need pulling off and instead they will hav eto be covered wit netting too. A job for the weekend.