Sunday, August 2, 2009

One cleaner, tidier shed

After a lazy morning, I made it over to the plot. No rain today though it was cloudy and a bit grey at times. It was quite warm too.

On the way to Plot 35 across the site, the Cabbage White flutterbyes were everywhere. On the plot I noticed that there were a couple of them inside the netting on Bed 7. I allowed them out but checked over the brassicas. Sure enough, there were some eggs on a couple of the plants (see below) as well as a couple of small caterpillars.



I removed all signs of Cabbage White activity though I think I might have to check the brassicas again. I thought that the 1.2mm gauge (is that the right word?) of the netting would be small enough to keep them out - the two that were trapped in certainly had some trouble getting out.

I didn't get to do too much gardening though. My main job today was to clean out the shed. Last weekend, there was an awful pong coming out of it when I opened it up. I thought that something had crawled in there and died! I wanted to get in there and sort it out. So that is mainly what I did today. I think some rats (or something bigger though I don't think anything bigger could actually get in) have just had a hell of a party in there. Nice. Anyway, the shed is much tidier and has had some disinfectant applied liberally to all surfaces. I am quite proud of my achievement particularly given the number of large spiders I, being seriously phobic about spiders, had to dodge. It has certainly taught me a big lesson about keeping the shed tidier. Learnt me good.

No comments: