Sunday, August 9, 2009

More marrows

As expected, today was warm. It was loads warmer on the allotment, which is a suntrap, than at home. I went over to the plot in the afternoon.

One of the regulars was there, 2 plots down from mine. We had a nice chat though much of it focused on blight. His tomatoes had got gotten unfortunately so he ripped them out. He had planted his potatoes next to them so he cut the haulms off them too to be on the safe side. He even asked for my advice. Cripes.

I started by sowing some carrots, spring onions, lettuce and beetroot in Bed 4. I covered the seeds over with a tunnel cloche to keep them safe from carrot fly and whatever else fancies its chances.



Then after some more nattering, I cleared a bit more of the patch behind Bed 8 (see below):



I am not very good at taking photos but I quite like the one below with a shield bug on one of the runner beans.



Before leaving, my fellow plotter gave me 5 marrows (he really doesn't like courgettes once they get past a certain stage). I gave 2 of them to a neighbour when I got back. While cooking one up for my tea, I took 2lbs of plums, pricked them and added gin and sugar. Fingers crossed for plum gin for Christmas.

No comments: