Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Not again

OMG! Blighted tomatoes again!



I was half expecting it though given the wet, mild weather in the past month. I have ripped out all the plants and have picked off any of the unripe fruit. I need to see if I could possibly make green chutney out of the unblemished fruit. That way, it wouldn't be a total loss. I'll ask for some advice from some fellow plotters on a forum. Has anyone reading this blog made chutney from similar tomatoes?

I brought home quite a harvest though including the first pick of runner beans, my first cucumber (Miniature White - that yellow thing in the foreground), some peas, some globe artichokes and lots of plums.



This evening, I made an improvised spicy lamb stew with the first chilli of the year harvested from the windowsill and the remaining artichoke hearts that I marinated some days ago. I think I'll marinate artichokes again but not in such a lemony oil as it limits what you can do with the them. I don't think that lemon and cheese go together (does anyone?) so I couldn't use them as a pizza topping or on cheese on toast. They were lovely in that stew though.

Now, what to do with those plums? Plum gin maybe?

1 comment:

Dr Russell Brown said...

Or plum vodka, that would work as well.