Friday, August 7, 2009

Plums for lettuce

I nipped over to the plot after work. It has been a fine sunny day with some cloud. Perhaps the most Summery day for a month.

Given the tomato blight that was discovered earlier in the week, I wanted to get the main crop potatoes out. They've had their 20 weeks in the ground. I also want to get to the back of Bed 8 as there seem to be some other potatoes growing there, amongst weeds and brambles, which I didn't plant out this year (see below).



I am guessing they are volunteers from previously dumped bits of potato or foliage. Not sure.

After a bit of digging and a lot of fighting with bramble, the spuds filled a small hessian sack. There only seemed to be about 2 tubers per plant but many of them were very large and will make fantastic baked potatoes. Quality not quantity I suppose. I have bagged up the foliage ready to burn or throw away.

I was being watched while working...



The first cat I've seen on the site I think.

Before leaving, I set about picking some plums from the tree at the top end of the plot. Every now and again, there is a bang when a fruit falls down onto the water butt next to the shed so it is a good sign that they are ripening. That and the already fallen plums on the ground that have been squished by passers-by.

While I was picking plums, one of my fellow allotmenteers called over to ask if I wanted some lettuces. I have been admiring their lettuces every time I've worked over to Plot 35. They always so lush and healthy (see below).



Apparently, they were growing them for a party (a lettuce party?!?) and went a bit overboard so had plenty to spare. I gave some plums in return for 3 heads of lettuce.

I have lots to do this weekend including more digging and cooking up the green tomatoes and plums. I will also make up some plum brandy for the Winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta say, if I was going to invite someone to a party then it would be you and your plum brandy.

And not your neighbour with the lettuce.

Lovely blog!

FlowerPowerGirl said...

Thank you! Your blog is fab! I will add it to my list now.