Saturday, May 9, 2009

Aubergines under attack!

Still not made it to the plot...

Last night, in the middle of watching Gardeners World (rock and roll), I had a sudden panic. I'd forgotten to water the chilli and aubergine seedlings on the windowsill in one of the rooms upstairs this week. I ran upstairs (I don't know why - the plants weren't going anywhere) and found them a little on the dry side but not too bad. Obviously, I then watered them.

This morning, I went to check on the seedlings to make sure the watering had perked them up. They looked better but a closer peak at them revealed some horrible little greenfly on one of the aubergine seedlings. Yuk! The 1 Early Jalapeno seedling I have also had 1 or 2 of the fly on the undersides of its leaves.

So, I have just taken them out to the patio and sprayed all the aubergines and chillies all over with a solution of Bug Clear (a plant oil-based spray) and have left them to dry for a bit in a cool room. On the 2 seedlings most affected, there seem to be no live bugs now though I expect to have to respray again soon. Hopefully I have nipped it in the bud as it were and the plants can go on to grow stronger. I have also stuck up one of those bug stickers in the room upstairs to catch them in the future (they have done brilliantly in the other rooms).

Now to the plot...

No comments: