Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mixed results

Looks like it'll be an ok weekend weatherwise with some cloud and some sunshine. Lots of things to do. I am just waiting for my camera to charge up before heading over to the plot.

A brief update on previous sowings that are one of the windowsills upstairs. I can report the following, very mixed, rates of germination for the sweetcorn and cucurbits:

- 15/18 sweetcorn (F1 hybrid 'Northern Xtra Sweet')
- 1/4 courgette: ('Striato D'Italia')
- 3/4 courgette: (F1 'One Ball')
- 1/4 courgette: ('Calabacin Di Nizza')
- 4/4 squash: ('Lady Godiva')
- 1/4 squash: ('Tromboncino D'Alberga')
- 0/4 pumpkin ('Llena de Napoles')
- 2/3 cucumber: ('Miniature White')
- 2/3 cucumber: ('Marketer')

A 3x5 grid of sweetcorn sounds good but I may have to consider resowing some more of the courgette. There are enough of them for my use on the plot but not really enough to have spare for friends. I will have a closer look at the pumpkins to see if the seeds are still there. Perhaps there are just a bit slower than I was expecting. I cannot believe the room was too cool for them.

I forgot to say last weekend that the 2 rows of parsnips in Bed 2 do seem to have germinated after 3 weeks. I will check them again later today and consider thinning them to 1 or 2 in each station. Also considering sowing another row.

Fingers crossed the marigolds are still there and have not been eaten by anything...

No comments: