Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chokes away

This weekend has been very warm - about 24 degrees. I didn't manage to get to the plot yesterday but had 2 hours there today.

I planted out 16 tomato plants (8 Tigerella and 8 Costoluto Genovese) in Bed 7. I didn't think I'd left any space for tomatoes on my planting plan but luckily, as Bed 7 hasn't had potatoes in it for a while and isn't scheduled to for a year or two, it provides the ideal place. I planted the tomatoes in the half of the bed nearest the path as I emptied some compost onto that half only a few weeks ago. This should provide some decent food for the hungry plants. I spaced them out in a 4x4 grid with bamboo canes for support (see below).



Fingers crossed that they ripen one day and are not attacked by the dreaded blight.

I also planted the last 15 or so pea plants as they were starting to flow over their seed tray. I planted these around the wigwams I erected last weekend to double up around some of the canes.

The biggest globe artichoke plant has got even bigger since I last saw it (see piccies below). It has even grown a couple of satellite chokes around the main one.





Though a couple of other plants are starting to grow chokes, they seem to be pointier and more open (see below).



They don't look right. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

After giving everything a good watering, I have come home to make strawberry jam and oven-dried tomatoes.

No comments: