Sunday, May 3, 2009

The jungle that is Plot 35

Yesterday morning, I noticed that the strawberries on the patio were looking like they needed a bit of a weeding. Closer inspection showed some weeds belonging to the potato family (see piccie below) as well as a fair amount of grass.



I'll need to look back at last year's blog posts but I suspect that the compost used for the strawberries was recycled from the potato tubs I used to grow salad potatoes. In any case, I removed the grass and potatoes from the strawberry pots.

I noticed that the pots of leek seedlings I thinned out a few weeks ago looked quite crowded again (see below).



It seems that the remaining seedlings have started to thrive and put on lots of new growth.

I had 2 hours on the plot yesterday. It got pretty warm there - definitely t-shirt weather. The plot is looking very overgrown grown (see below) and there is a lot to do.



I started with a spot of grass trimming around Bed 5. Then I did a spot of trimming at the bottom of the allotment focusing on the nettles, which I collected up to make some fertiliser. I have put them aside soaking in water in a big tub, which was uncovered earlier in the year by Bramble Man. I'll leave them for a couple of weeks before removing them and saving the liquid.

I tried to clear a patch at the bottom of the plot so that I can have a bonfire tomorrow with the help of Bramble Man. I have trouble keeping a fire going so I need some tuition.

While I was on my knees cutting nettles, a fellow allotmenteer came over to ask if I had room for some bean plants. Very kind. I took them gratefully and planted them in Bed 3 in the corner not housing broad beans or peas (see below).



They look like nice strong plants and I am assured that the rabbits are not going to be interested in them given their size. Apparently, rabbits seem only to be interested in newly emerged seeds.

Before leaving, I was very happy and surprised to see the blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes starting to fruit. There was a bee busily making its way around the clumps of blackcurrant blooms.





I hurriedly put some net up over the two bushes in an effort to ensure that I actually get to eat some of the fruit.

And the Jerusalem artichokes plants are emerging through the soil.



Clearly I left some tubers in the ground because some of the tops are not in the (relatively) evenly spaced line I set them out in.

No comments: