Monday, May 4, 2009

A cool weekend

Two trips over to the plot on Monday. I was about to leave early when there was a shower but it didn't last too long. It was cloudy for the rest of the day with another couple of brief showers. It got a bit chilly when standing around but was fine when I was busy working.

I started by hoeing around the broad beans and globe artichokes and a couple of the other beds. Bramble Man then came over for a chat which was nice. I planted out the 16 or so marigolds I had been growing in the lean-to and sprinkled some organic slug pellets around them. Most of them are amongst the broad beans with the aim of keeping the blackfly away (though pinching out the tops of the plants worked last year too).

The raised beds for the salad leaves were full of things going to seed. I emptied them out and forked over the hard ground. Beneath the layer of compost I put down last Summer, it was solid clay. I give the beds a good watering before popping home for some lunch (which included lettuce, potatoes and radishes harvested from the plot).

The second session started with hoeing and earthing up three rows of the potatoes. I then I was then going to cut some more grass around the beds but decided it was too wet. The rain came in so I finished up with a spot of hand weeding.

I didn't get round to sowing the mushrooms but I might get to that during the week.

No comments: