Thursday, May 28, 2009

Next in the queue

I got back after a couple of days away and on my return I found the pea seedlings in the lean-to about 4 times taller than they were before. It was time to plant them out. There were also 5 cucurbit plants waiting their turn. I spent 2 pleasant but busy hours over at the plot this evening.

First of all, I raked and weeded most of Bed 6. The soil is pretty good in that bed so the weeding was low effort. I then put in 3 bamboo wigwams and planted out the pea seedlings. I spent a little bit of time wondering what to use to protect them from the birds and rabbits. Suddenly it dawned on me that there was some bright orange plastic stuff what was left in the shed when I took the plot on. It is not pretty but it seemed to be just right with a bit of pegging down and tying up (see below).



I then planted the 5 cucurbits in Bed 9. Before coming home, I got the hose out and gave everything a good watering, including some beans on my neighbour's plot which another allotmenteer pointed out as looking a bit dry. It is lovely that he spotted that and was looking out for them. We have agreed to water each other's plots when we are each on our hols later in the year.

No comments: