Friday, May 15, 2009

Revisit

It has felt like a hectic week but I did get an hour at the plot on Tuesday evening which felt very self-indulgent. I nipped over to sow some seeds as the last quarter of the moon this coming week suggests that sowing and planting will not a good idea. In the raised beds, I sowed:

- carrot (Paris Market)
- lettuce (All The Year Round, Salad Bowl Red and Green Mixed)
- spinach (Matador)
- celtuce
- sorrel
- chicory

Even after watering and raking, the soil in the beds was not of great tilth. Hard, dry clay. Thinking about it since, I wish I had added some compost or soil improver before sowing seeds. Nevermind. Crops grew happily in there last season so it might all work out ok.

I was aware that last year's and, come to think of it, the previous year's florence fennel didn't fully mature. I think I sowed them too late (not until July or August) and they didn't have the time to mature before temperatures started to drop in the Autumn. So, while at the plot, I sowed some of them (Sirio) in the now roomy Bed 7. Fingers crossed for a fennel harvest this year.

This weekend looks like it will be wet so might not get to spend much quality time on the plot. Not that I am complaining too much though - it buys me some time to get a new attachment for my hose.

No comments: